Friday, April 26, 2013

FLORIDA TRIP THIS WEEKEND...

I'm off tomorrow to Florida - for the weekend.

After the pain of the Bahama Woodstar, I thought I'd treat myself to looking at an empty pond - for the third time. The White-cheeked Pintail has become *a bit* of a nemesis bird for me this year, so I thought I'd add another trip to the legend. It hasn't been seen since 4.20 - although it does seem to disappear for days at a time.

Other target birds - which I missed last time:
  • Red-cockaded Woodpecker and Bachmann's Sparrow - will try at St. Sebastian River Preserve.
  • Nanday Parakeet - missed these around Miami, so I'll try St. Pete - where they're much more numerous (famous last, pre-nemesis bird, words...)
  • Gray Kingbird - at Fort de Soto, near St. Pete.
  • Groove-billed Ani - had been seen fairly regularly at the La Chua Trail, Paynes Prairie, although not recently. And - that's probably too far to drive!
  • Whooping Crane - introduced birds at La Chua Trail
  • Northern Bobwhite - yes, still haven't seen or heard these this year. Hey - they're not easy in MA!

No comments:

Post a Comment